[aprssig] TT3 ISS path

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu May 18 17:57:32 EDT 2006

>>> farmer.aj at gmail.com 05/18/06 4:12 PM >>>
>> If someone is cluttering the terrestrail network by
>>digipeating them from ISS over to APRS...
>
>Hmm...  One of your APRS documents recommends that D700
>mobiles digipeat packets from ISS over to 144.39 so that Igates
>will pick up the packets for delivery to findu.  You have been
>advocating this "cluttering".  That is where I got the idea....

Oh, that was back a long time ago before we had lots of
SatGates, and it might also be useful in remote areas where
there is little traffic.  But in general, we need to be careful about
cross gating everything everywhere.  But I think my main concern
was that these packets would not make it to the www.ariss.net
web page, because they would not have RS0ISS* in the
path.

>> then the RS0ISS will not have a * and will not show up on the
>> www.ariss.net page.
>
>Check the www.ariss.net page and you will see many paths using
>RS0ISS-3,SGATE,WIDE2-2  and they show correctly as RS0ISS-3* ...

Yes, because they were heard directly by a SatGATE.  But if they
are only heard by a cross-gating SGATE to the APRS channel then
they wont make it onto the ARISS, or PCSAT2 or any of the other
satelltie collection pages because they do not arrive with a * on
the satellite digipeater callsign.

You won't see any there that went via the terrestrial system
and got there via RS0ISS-3,SGATE,MYDIGI*,WIDE2-1
and that was my point.   It has to be heard by a satgate directly
to show up on that page...  Thus it is confusing to users to
suggest that they have to use a 4 hop path just to hit a
satellite that only takes one.

By the way, which file do I need to update? thanks

de Wb4APR, Bob

--
A.J. Farmer, AJ3U
http://www.aj3u.com