[aprssig] jFindu/aprs-is Server Access

AE5PL Lists HamLists at ametx.com
Wed May 17 10:45:21 EDT 2006

I have noted an increase of people hosting their own javAPRS (this is
good) but using the www.jfindu.net www.aprs-is.net or www.ae5pl.net
server feeds with a filter setting of t/poiw (this is bad).  I don't
mind the server being used for area or station limited feeds, but t/poiw
causes virtually all APRS-IS packets to be passed to the applet.  This
wouldn't be an issue if it were for short periods of time (a couple of
minutes, for example), but users are clamping on for hours and days at a
time.

If you have set up a web site which has web pages that use javAPRS and
you want to use an open feed like t/poiw, please change your web pages
so they do not use my server for the data feed.  If you must use a full
feed, point towards one of the core servers.  However, javAPRS is not
designed to handle today's volume of packets and will become very slow
very quickly.  I recommend that you rethink you data feed and use a very
specific filter such as a small area filter.

Thank you for your cooperation.  If the high feeds continue, I will be
forced to change or close the ports on the jFindu server due to the high
bandwidth being used.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
mailto:pete at ae5pl.net