[aprssig] Radiation Readings

scott at opentrac.org scott at opentrac.org
Thu May 11 18:42:29 EDT 2006

We had this discussion a year or two ago.  There's no dedicated radiation
measurement in APRS, but you can easily put it in the comment field.  You'd
want to make it consistent and easily parsed if you're expecting a client
program to be able to do something with it.  Maybe something like /R=000000,
in uSv/hour.

You could also set up a tracker to create objects to represent hotspots.
This would actually be an interesting application for the scripting language
I'm developing for my new tracker - I've already got a Geiger counter
that'll work with the tracker's counter input, and the script could be set
up to send an object every time the count goes over a certain threshold.
The radiation count would go in as a signpost, with a unique object name.

Scott
N1VG