[aprssig] Radiation Readings

Bill York iago at pobox.com
Thu May 11 18:39:56 EDT 2006

at the risk of sounding foolish, has anyone worked with the open
source monitoring tool, Nagios? it's mainly a network monitoring tool,
but it's capable of doing quite a bit more; including monitoring
temperatures and the like. if you can spit a number at it, it can
record it and send alerts via, well, whatever mechanism you like.

i'm really just brainstorming here, and i have VERY LITTLE experience
with APRS, but i'm sure there's a way to script the packet through an
igate and out to rf.

On 5/11/06, Ron Wenig <ny3j at comcast.net> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> A fellow ham approached me about a project he is thinking about.  He would
> like to monitor radiation readings and transmit them via packet.  I thought
> that it would be an excellent application for APRS.  Not only could you
> track a vehicle but you could also post radiation readings with the posit.
> It would be a good capability for ARES/RACES emergency communications to be
> able to do.  I know there is a way to transmit telemetry via APRS.  Is there
> a way to transmit other data such as radiation readings.
>
> 73, Ron ny3j at comcast.net

bill, ke5hwy