[aprssig] Re: PHG in APRS and Xastir?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu May 11 12:06:02 EDT 2006

>>> "Curt, WE7U" <archer at eskimo.com> 05/11/06 10:56 AM >>>
>> Thanks,  I hope that that button defaults to the
>> condition that includes this PHG data in his packet
>> unless the  owner specifically takes action to disable it?

>Nope.  It defaults to OFF.  We don't know what PHG
>should be set to, so we require the user to manually
>hit the correct togglebuttons to enable it with the
>proper settings, else it's disabled.

Ah, that makes sense, except that in my opinion,
once the person enters a Power, a Height and a
Gain, that then the PHG should be automatically
enabled unless he takes further action to override
it and turn it off.

If he enters no PHG data, then I agree it should
be disabled.

>> 3) Does XASTIR have a one-button method for
>>     reporting a signal strength report in the DFS format?
>
>Nope.  We can plot reports on our screen though by
>creating an object, then making it an omni-DF type and
>filling in the fields.

AH, Great!  But adding a signal report for own-station
requires no additional info other than simply the single
digit signal report (since his PHG data already exists).
So it should be easy to add.

If he clicks "Make Signal Report" and enters 0 - 9,
that is all he has to do and his PHGxxxx changes
to DFSdxxx.  Of course if he has not eneterd his
PHG data, then he should get a dialog box to enter
it then.

Thanks
DFing by signal strrength is so easy to do with APRS,
and so fundamental to its original intents that it is a
shame that we do not exercise ourselves more
in providing this service to the ham community...

Anthing we can do to rectify this situation will be a
benefit..

de WB4APR