[aprssig] I'm gonna drill.... NMO GPS?

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Thu May 4 11:01:30 EDT 2006

yahoo at davidarush.com wrote:

> While I'm at it... does anyone know of a decent but inexpensive GPS
> receiver that'll mount in a 3/4 NMO-size hole?  I know there are a
> number of GPS antennas that have an NMO mount, but they cost more and
> are much bigger than my all-in-one Deluo receivers!

Why bother?

Either place the Deluo unit on the dashboard as far forward as possbile
-- it will see enough of the sky to work decently.     Or stick it down
with a magnet at the very rear of the roof just above the tailgate and
thread the wire through the top of the tailgate opening.

If you really want to hard-mount a GPS through the roof, this integrated
combination antenna/receiver works well.  I had one installed on a VW
Passat TDI Wagon for 7 years and a quarter-million miles.  It sells for
about USD $120.

       http://www.tri-m.com/products/systems/smartskymaster.html
(Canadian Distributer)

       http://www.sanav.com/gps_receivers/gps_locators/gm-44.htm
(Taiwan Mfr)

This device inserts into a hole from above and is locked in place by a
large-diameter plastic wingnut threaded onto the mounting stud from the
underside.  An 8-pin minidin connector (the type used on Mac serial
ports) is located in the center of the mounting stud,  and carries +5vdc
power in and NMEA RS232 data out.

--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.com