[aprssig] Re: OLD vs NEW

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Tue May 2 17:09:36 EDT 2006

kb7tbt at gmail.com wrote:
> I have a question that maybe some of you would say is simply silly but
> I need
> it answered, so lets see if you all can teach a old dog a new trick.
>
> As far as I understand the reasoning for the new WIDEn-n is to prevent
> the
> abuse and packet flooding by ignorant 7-7's and so fourth.

Part of the new n-N is to trap abusive paths like WIDE7-7.

The other part is address the fact that KPC3 TNCs  (used in a very large
percentage of all U.S. digipeaters) don't do dupe suppression on "RELAY"
or plain "WIDE" paths, but do on any kind of n-N path.

> Now I have seen all this chatter about 1-1 and 1-2 and how digi's dont
> understand it, my question is simply "why?"

The WIDE1-1 path is a replacement for the now-obsolute "RELAY" (which
KPC3s won't dupe supress) for home low-level fill-in digis.

> For years now I have simply used WIDE2-2 on all my paths, 3 or 4 years
> ago I
> went across country with the same path and it worked just fine with the
> exception of the "dead" areas at the time.

By doing that you are depending solely on high-level wide-coverage "true
WIDEn-Ns" only,  and are bypassing the possible help from low-level home
fill-in digis.  In the west where WIDEn-N digis are  *REALLY*  wide on
mountains thousands of feet above the user,  this works well.

In the flat lands of the midwest and east coast where "true WIDEn-Ns"
are typically only a few hundred feet above the user, the assistance of
home stations via WIDE1-1 can make a major difference.

WIDE1-1 is compatible with either:  a home station as the first hop,
--or-- a true high-level WIDEn-N as the first hop.  [ The home station
is typically too stupid to properly decrement WIDE2-2 properly to
WIDE2-1.  Instead it would mark it as used, preventing any further digi
hops.  ]

By using two WIDEn-N statements in series,  a "dumb" home station can
"eat" the first WIDE1-1 while leaving the following WIDE2-2 (or WIDE2-1)
part for subsequent true WIDEn-N digis to process normally.

> So as I see it old or new setups should still accept the wide2-2 path, in
> our state that is the basic recommended path other then AZ2-2 but of
> course
> that's special to the state.

The whole history and rationale behind the new scheme is here on my website:
     http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/DigiPaths

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.com

NEW!   JavAPRS Filter Port 14580 Guide