[aprssig] Best way to hookup Garmin 276c

Wes johnston wes at kd4rdb.com
Sun Mar 26 20:04:43 EST 2006

I wired the included power / data cable to a power pole, two serial
connectors (female), and a 1/8" phono jack.  This lets me use com1 or com2
for NMEA, plug in a speaker and have USB still available.  I had intended to
wire the audio out into the mp3 input to my "good time" radio when I started
this project along with the XM radio.... but it has been easier to just
throw an old speaker under the seat, and the volume is loud enough that I
can hear "her" fine.

I cut 2 lengths of black wire and terminated the +12v and ground along with
one end of the lengths of short black wire into a power pole.  This gave me
a good starting point to have a ground wire go to each of the serial
connectors.  In my previous gps, I had tried to use the de-9 ground pin as a
common for the whole shebang, and that was too much trouble to try to get
more than 2 wires soldered into a de-9 solder cup.  This time I opted to
make the power pole the common point.

Wes