[aprssig] Re: Tracker Smart Pathing: user types,alternatives

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Mar 24 16:56:00 EST 2006

>>> w0ep at frii.com 03/24/06 8:24 AM >>>
>> Now did these users actually know what they
>>needed on that day...
>
>Without some understanding of the local APRS
>conditions/traditions, it seems to me nearly
>impossible for users to know how to accomplish
>what they need on a given day.

Of course, this is ham radio, not a bunch of appliance
operators.  And a ham is supposed to LISTEN before
transmitting (meaning know what he is getting into)
and is supposed to know his equipment and know the
network he is joining works.

And now that there is only ONE APRS mobile routine
recommendation  WIDE1-1,WIDEn-N, and everyone
knows where the big cities are that cannot handle N
above 2 most of the time, I just dont see the problem.

Now that we have all that solved with the New-N
Paradigm, now it is time to look at how to get people
to set MORE NETWORK FRIENDLY RATES.  Remember
APRS was designed without user settable rates, because
with the decaying algorithm, everyone got high rates for
fresh data, and low rates automatically as it got older.

Smart Beaconing,
Proportional Pathing
Decayed beaconing

are all part of that attempt to get away from users
setting high fixed rates because they dont know
any better.

Bob