[aprssig] Re: Tracker Smart Pathing: user types, alternatives

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Mar 24 12:13:37 EST 2006

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 scott at opentrac.org wrote:

> With the AUTO proposal, on the other hand, I can keep using the same
> paths I use now, but add AUTO to the end.  If I drive into an area that has
> an AUTO setting defined, it drops the static part of my path and substitutes
> the recommended path.  If it's not supported, things continue as normal.

A message someone else brought up earlier mentioned the class of
people wanting only to get to an igate.  Perhaps AUTO and IGATE as
options?

AUTO would function as described earlier.  IGATE would rewrite the
path to go direct to the nearest igate, wherever that might be.

There might be other mods that could be useful to this concept.
Like SAR or public service events that needs a different
configuration.

Heck, I'd like to see NO path, or just "AUTO" used as a path
someday, and all of the infrastructure just "do the right thing".
Because of the different usage scenarios people have described, we
need _some_ clue as to what the user desires though.  I sure hate
transmitting seven more bytes just to provide this clue.