[aprssig] Re: Tracker Smart Pathing: user types, alternatives

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Mar 24 11:59:17 EST 2006

>>> scott at opentrac.org 03/24/06 11:14 AM >>>
>> So you will be setting ahigher than normal rate
>> ALL the time so that an AUTO if someone ever
>> makes one, can cut it back?  That guarantees
>> more QRM to everyone everywhere while
>> we wait for an AUTO digi...
>
>AUTO has nothing to do with the rate.

Ah sorry, you are right.  In that sentence I meant
a "higher hop count"...

> You run a reasonable path (like you should be doing
> now) and add AUTO, and any supporting digipeater
> that sees the packet will preempt the path with
> the local recommendation.

1)  But that is adding 7 bytes 100% to all packets from
that tracker and already packets from trackers are
the highest number of packets we are burdened with
already.  Thats a big load for little value *most* of the time.

2) We already have most of the DIGI pre-emption
capability at any existing digi that is supporting the
New-N Paradigm.  It is the TRAP function.  If a
fixed rate 3-3 blathering tracker enters an area
that is only 1 hop from an IGate, that digi can have
3-3 in its TRAP list and the packet will be digipeated
once, callsign substituted and it WILL get to the igate
and no farther.

THat pretty much does pretty good now.

Bob, WB4APR