[aprssig] Tracker Smart Pathing

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Mar 21 12:13:40 EST 2006

>>...this ... should be a function of the 'Network'
>>It only means changing the code in  every Digi
>> Basically, I should be able to set my path to AUTO ...
>> and the network then ensures that my packets make
>> it as  far as the nearest I-Gate...
>
>I could easily add a rewrite option to my digi code
>that'd ... substitute something for AUTO...when
>it's received by the digi. [such as the path to the
>nearest  IGate]...

This always sounds great on paper, but my experience
is that it *never* works in amateur radio practice in
the long run.   When anything requires a volunteer
SYSOP to make frequent updates in response to
changing conditions in the local area
(the IGate changes).  It works OK for a while, then
the sysop gets busy with other things and you
find out it goes from days to weeks to months before
you can get the digi owner to change his parameters
to the "latest" (each time an IGate comes or goes).

The result is "it should work" but in fact it completely
fails for the period between the time that something
in the network changes until ALL local SYSOPS have
updated their digis settings to make it work again.

Also, only the sender of a packet knows what he
wants it to do, not the DIGI sysop who has to define
it according to a single rule (which may be right or
wrong for this user).

Again, I am not knocking the concept at all,  But just
in practice, in many areas, dependence on sysop
settings and updates for somthing to work, is a plan
for less reliability in my experience in Ham radio.

Just a thought.
de Wb4APR, Bob