[aprssig] Tracker Smart Pathing

scott at opentrac.org scott at opentrac.org
Tue Mar 21 12:58:58 EST 2006

> This always sounds great on paper, but my experience
> is that it *never* works in amateur radio practice in
> the long run.   When anything requires a volunteer
> SYSOP to make frequent updates in response to

No frequent changes need, if you don't want to make them.  Just set AUTO to
whatever the recommended path is - like WIDE2-2.

Besides, if this all works out like I'm planning, reconfiguring a T2 (digi
or otherwise) will be a matter of going to a website, entering your
passphrase, and doing some pointing and clicking.  Since it's all done
through APRS station-to-station messaging, it'll work through Igates.
Getting the current config out of the device is going to be the tough part.

> Also, only the sender of a packet knows what he
> wants it to do, not the DIGI sysop who has to define
> it according to a single rule (which may be right or
> wrong for this user).

So they don't have to use AUTO.  They can still run TRACE7-7 if they really
want to.  But if a long-haul trucker wants to run one setting and not
generate excessive traffic, they can run maybe WIDE3-3,AUTO and know that if
they drive into an area that supports AUTO it'll knock the path down to
whatever is recommended for the area.

Scott
N1VG