[aprssig] Preliminary delayed packet analysis

Keith - VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Sat Jun 17 16:53:32 EDT 2006

Pete AE5PL wrote...

> Instead of masking problems <snip> fix the problem. If the problem
> is on RF, you just partially hide it from Internet users. If the problem
> is at the IGates, then what about all the dupe packets of non-posit
> types? Bottom line: if you have issues with a specific IGate or server,
> address it directly with them. If it is "too difficult" for the affected
> sysops to diagnose or for you to pursue, then that's too bad.

Good point! I've got to agree that the delays are most likely on RF or at
least before they get gated, but it's when the delayed positions aren't
seen as dupes by the APRS-IS that the "problem" becomes apparent.

>From my own observations, I'm sometimes watching a station that I am
probably hearing via at least one digi and that digi can be heard by a
number of IGates. Other times I'm watching a station that is very close
and I'm hearing it direct better than 90% of the time. Because I have a
TCPIP connection (IGate) as well as RF it is more apparent when an "out of
order" packet arrives. Some time when I've got more time (hah!) I'll try
and get a few other people involved and try and pin down where the delays
are happening. So... while not suggesting dupe checks for 24 hours, what
would be involved in changing it from 30 seconds to a minute or two? Would
it take a lot of extra horsepower to do it? Of course, as you say, it
would just be masking the problem instead of fixing it!

No, I wasn't an APRS user 3-4 years ago. I just looked back and I see I
registered UI-View at the end of Sept 2003... sadly, just under a year
before Roger passed away. I did have to put up with a slow Internet
connection until a year ago.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH