[aprssig] Preliminary delayed packet analysis

AE5PL Lists HamLists at ametx.com
Fri Jun 16 22:35:41 EDT 2006

There are over 5,000 APRS clients (not including CW stations) that
provide their data to hundreds of servers.  Some of the IGates do dupe
checking (when they are part of a server like aprsD and javAPRSSrvr).
Some server software provide a dupe log, some don't.  None of the "log"
formats are compatible.

Bottom line: focus on the "trouble" system(s).  Talk _directly_ with the
sysop(s).  Diagnose the actual problem.  Correct it.

This is not for the faint of heart.  This takes a little knowledge in
diagnosing network and system issues (gee, why is there a 2 minute delay
when I am running a server on Windows 98, 200 MHz CPU, and 128 meg of
RAM?  I wonder...)  It would be nice if the world was cookie cutter and
everything worked the same.  It isn't.  Nothing does.  APRS and APRS-IS
are a collection of systems and software in all shapes and sizes.  You
aren't going to fix the problems by looking at all of APRS-IS.  You fix
the problems one at a time by working with those directly involved.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
mailto:pete at ae5pl.net