[aprssig] Re: TIGER maps what-s the problem?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Jun 13 23:13:45 EDT 2006

Pete,
In a separate thread we were considering using the "R" overlay
on the GATE symbol for receive only IGates.  But your idea for
the RHINO gate has good value too.  Is there another letter
we can use for either application, since both seem to fit "R"
pretty well.

"1" for one way?  Loooks too much like an "I"
"O" for One way?
"F" for feed?

But if I had to choose, it seems there are lots more one-way
IGates and RX only seems the best solution, so I'd lean towards
giving them the "R"...  Maybe "G" gate for Garmin?  Just
thinking out loud here...

Bob

>>> HamLists at ametx.com 06/13/06 5:51 PM >>>
I would also recommend using third-party packets for Rhinos because of
this reason (9 character "callsign") and because they are not on the
APRS network.  In other words, use something like RHINO* for their
network indicator instead of TCPIP*.  We are doing this with the D-STAR
radios and it works well (DSTAR*).  An IGate for a RHINO network might
be the gate symbol with an R overlay (we are using the gate symbol with
a D overlay for a D-STAR IGate)?

I believe we have confirmed that all current APRS display software
allows for any 9 character callsigns in 3rd-party packets in a previous
thread.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
mailto:pete at ae5pl.net