[aprssig] New User Question(s)

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Jun 6 09:29:04 EDT 2006

On Mon, 5 Jun 2006, Cap Pennell wrote:

> <snip>
> > Stick to WIDE1-1 as the _first_ element in the path, then if you
> > need just one more hop, add WIDE2-1 as the 2nd element.  WIDE2-1
> > doesn't trigger the fill-in digi's, but gives you only one hop on
> > the mountaintops.  If you want three hops, then you go with
> > WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2.
>
> All good explanation, thanks Curt, except I think you meant:
>
> If you are absolutely sure that your mobile station absolutely NEEDS three
> hops in all directions for a particularly critical operation of limited
> duration, _then_ you go with WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2.  But generally the two hops in
> all directions produced by WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 is plenty to reach the internet
> and a very broad area on VHF too, and is a much more courteous routine
> mobile path.
>
> <grin>

Yep.  Appreciate the correction Cap!  There are getting to be VERY
few places where three hops are needed.  Perhaps a _very_ rural
area not served well by high digipeaters where one must radiate down
some canyons to get out to civilization or something...  We have a
few such places in our area, but you have to go up into the
mountains to find them.  Chances are you just won't get out at all
from there no matter how many hops you choose.  Might be better to
rely on ISS in that case.  hi hi (or high high?)

> These days use of the three hop WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 path is the main reason I'm
> seeing mobile stations 400+ miles from here (unknowingly) sharing our
> limited available VHF airtime.

And I just reported on another list that a station across WA state
from me was appearing way over here on the west side, apparently
running a WIDE3-3 path from an igate.

A path of "WIDE2-2" or "WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1" (for a mobile) appears to
really do the trick these days, at least in places where the new
WIDEn-N paradism has been implemented.  The NWAPRS system is one of
those.

I did some experiments over my normal commute path a year or so ago
with running WIDE2-2 from the mobile.  WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 worked MUCH
better for me 'cuz I got that boost from the fill-in stations.