[aprssig] New User Question(s)

Cap Pennell cap at cruzio.com
Mon Jun 5 14:05:32 EDT 2006

<snip>
> Stick to WIDE1-1 as the _first_ element in the path, then if you
> need just one more hop, add WIDE2-1 as the 2nd element.  WIDE2-1
> doesn't trigger the fill-in digi's, but gives you only one hop on
> the mountaintops.  If you want three hops, then you go with
> WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2.

All good explanation, thanks Curt, except I think you meant:

If you are absolutely sure that your mobile station absolutely NEEDS three
hops in all directions for a particularly critical operation of limited
duration, _then_ you go with WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2.  But generally the two hops in
all directions produced by WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 is plenty to reach the internet
and a very broad area on VHF too, and is a much more courteous routine
mobile path.

<grin>

These days use of the three hop WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 path is the main reason I'm
seeing mobile stations 400+ miles from here (unknowingly) sharing our
limited available VHF airtime.

73, Cap