[aprssig] Mounting 2M Xcvr in '05 Toyota Camry

Bob Burns K4RXR k4rxr_ at rlburns.net
Wed Jul 26 22:58:04 EDT 2006

At 07:30 PM 7/26/2006, J. Gary Bender, WS5N wrote:
>I have wondered if the placement of the car's broadcast antenna is
>any indication of possible problems.  I noticed that all Honda and
>Toyota hybrids have external antennas mounted away from the
>engine.  In the case of the Honda, at least, that is how the
>salesman spotted hybrids to show me.  My VW diesel has the antenna
>at the back of the roof, too.  I have not noticed if that is only on
>diesels, however.

I can't say whether or not all VWs since a certain date have had rear
roof mounted broadcast antennas, but I think they first started doing
on the Jetta GLI back in 1987 or so. I've had 8 VWs. The last two, a
2002 Jetta GLS and a 2005 GTI, both with the 1.8T gasoline engine,
have had rear roof mounted antennas. Also, keep in mind that the
antenna VW uses has a small pre-amp mounted at the base of the
antenna under the roof.

Bob...