[aprssig] Re: Mounting 2M Xcvr in '05 Toyota Camry

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Thu Jul 27 00:34:37 EDT 2006

k4rxr_ at rlburns.net wrote:

> I can't say whether or not all VWs since a certain date have had rear
> roof mounted broadcast antennas, but I think they first started doing
> on the Jetta GLI back in 1987 or so. I've had 8 VWs. The last two, a
> 2002 Jetta GLS and a 2005 GTI, both with the 1.8T gasoline engine,
> have had rear roof mounted antennas. Also, keep in mind that the
> antenna VW uses has a small pre-amp mounted at the base of the antenna
> under the roof.
>
> Bob...

My 97 Passat TDI had the roof-mounted Fuba active whip antenna like most
other recent VWs,  but my new 2006 Jetta TDI has an antenna embedded in
the rear window.  Somehow they are utilizing the defogger grid in the
rear window as a small loop antenna that apparently responds to the
magnetic component of the radio field (at least on AM) instead of the
usual voltage probe whip that responds to the AM E field.

 I was skeptical at first but it seems to be as sensitive as the classic
whips, amplified or otherwise on distant weak AM stations. It doesn't
seem to be as effective on FM (somewhat directional).   It appears to be
very hi-Q and detunes easily.  I hear a noticeable dropoff in signal
when I put my hand on the glass, or when heavy rain is sheeting down the
glass.

It also seems to sense power lines much more readily than traditional
whips. I was surprised to get loud hummy noises not only when you drive
under overhead AC lines (as you would expect) but over some buried lines
as well.

By the way, I have hit the Jetta's extensive electronic control systems
with 100 watts of RF on all HF bands (including 30M HF APRS) into a
W6HIQ Hi-Q "Stealth Antennas" screwdriver mounted in the center of the
trunk lid,  and full power on both bands of a D700 into a hard-mounted
dualband whip in the center of the roof with no problems.

Despite the electronic diesel injection system, 6-speed
computer-controlled Tiptronic transmission, electronic stability control
and antilock brakes, this car is FAR quieter on HF receive than my '97
Passat or my 2005 Prius.  [ The Passat's cruise control would go nuts
when I keyed up on 40M, and it's trick  smart door locks generated a
continuous broadband noise that made 6 meters unusable, even with the
ignition turned off . ]

--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.com