[aprssig] APRS In A Car

Claude Head III k5dtn at swbell.net
Fri Jan 27 09:58:31 EST 2006

My wife's car, a 2001 Cadillac, has the option of  having the cigarette plugs on all the time, or of following the  "available" power cycle (on for about 10 minutes after ignition is  turned off). This is done by moving one of the fuses in the main fuse  block from one slot to another. This feature is described in the user's  manual.

  73, Claude K5DTN

Gregg Wonderly <gregg at wonderly.org> wrote:  Dave Baxter wrote:
> A lot of modern cars do not have "Always on" power ports any more.  It
> seems to depend on the philosophy of the individual maker.  The Honda
> Accord I have now does not.  Other cars I've had in the last 5 years
> have..

I ran a #10 feed from the battery to the cockpit to the center console above the
radio in my honda.  There is a little snap in block there (for a feature that
the car did not have) that is just the size of the 4 port snap in:

Now I have 4 ports of power any time and I plug my radio, 500 watt inverter and
some other things in there.  I have a powerpole to female cig-lighter plug that
allows one to plug in convential car enabled devices.

Gregg Wonderly