[aprssig] Re: KPC-3

Stan - N0YXV n0yxv at gihams.org
Wed Jan 25 13:38:49 EST 2006

I've heard from a very close buddy that he got his old KPC-3 (not the +)
somehow upgraded to the 8.2 version. Don't know how to do it just know that it
is possible. When I talked to Kantronics about it they said it's not even
possible to upgrade the old KPC3's (not +) but I've seen it done. I wish they
would simply re-release the software to the general public. From what I've seen
it looks like APRS has given some life to the older units. Looks to me like for
a couple of pennies Kantronics sell a 8.2 version and make some dollars.

I got a KPC3 (not + or v8.2) for $20 but I've seen them go on Ebay for close to
$100. If you don't have the latest version of software you can still use the
KPC3 for APRS but you would want to do it connected to a computer in KISS mode
so that the computer does all the work. Not sure which version of firmware you
have to get to to have the GPS functions included other than I know 8.2 can do
WIDEn-N.