[aprssig] VHF Aircraft Channels

Joe Della Barba joe at dellabarba.com
Tue Jan 24 06:48:00 EST 2006

Ground stations still have a station license and an assigned frequency.
DO NOT just pick one at random, you could interfere with an aircraft 200
miles away. This sounds like it might fall in the "test flight"
category. Actually 123.45 is part of that assignment and the rightful
users go nuts with everyone thinking it is for air-to-air chitchat. Even
some official publications have it put down for that. ARINC just down
the road can help you if you need a frequency assigned to you. If you
want to "just do it" and hope no one complains use 122.75. This is
officially for air-to-air chitchat and carries no important ATC or FSS
traffic. Please keep in mind with the ADIZ (security measures) around DC
that what we do here is much more carefully monitored than elsewhere. If
you want to get some real quick attention, use 121.5 :)
I would think about using ham radio for this if you can. You can easily
talk all day on 2 meter simplex and never hear anyone else.
Feel free to contact me if you need any more advice. BTW, I may be
flying a 144.99 input/144.39 output digi in the area this weekend to see
how it works.
73
Joe Della Barba N3HGB
commercial pilot.