[aprssig] VHF Aircraft Channels

Chuck Gooden cgooden at insightbb.com
Tue Jan 24 06:22:43 EST 2006

John Habbinga wrote:

> Use of aviation radio frequencies requires an FCC license.  If you
> don't have a license you can probably operate under the control of a
> licensed aviation service organization.  Usually one that operates at
> the airport the plane is kept at.  You would want to ask the plane's
> pilot what frequency to use.  I know that 123.450 MHz is commonly used
> for informal chit-chat among pilots.
> On 1/23/06, *Robert Bruninga* <bruninga at usna.edu
> <mailto:bruninga at usna.edu> > wrote:
>     Hummh... We all have these radios that tune the
>     118-137 MHz AM aircraft band...  But what channels
>     are available to communicate plane to plane or
>     plane to ground?
The best way would be to look at an Anreonautical chart, or airport
facilities directory for the area the plane is going to be in.  Since
your on the east coast, I would expect the frequencies to be quite
crowded given the plane will be flying 2500 feet and above.

Ham band frequecencies, or FRS may work better without causing
interferance to other pilots ect.

More information about the aprssig mailing list