[aprssig] VHF Aircraft Channels

Ken Brown W2KB at comcast.net
Tue Jan 24 06:25:44 EST 2006

The FCC eliminated the aircraft radio license requirement for US-based
aircraft flying domestically some years ago, so very few owners have them.
I do have a license for my Cessna Cardinal since it technically is required
to fly to Canada.


73, ---Ken W2KB N16019  W2KB-7



From: aprssig-bounces at lists.tapr.org [mailto:aprssig-bounces at lists.tapr.org]
On Behalf Of John Habbinga
Sent: January 24, 2006 01:12
To: TAPR APRS Mailing List
Subject: Re: [aprssig] VHF Aircraft Channels


Use of aviation radio frequencies requires an FCC license.  If you don't
have a license you can probably operate under the control of a licensed
aviation service organization.  Usually one that operates at the airport the
plane is kept at.  You would want to ask the plane's pilot what frequency to
use.  I know that 123.450 MHz is commonly used for informal chit-chat among

On 1/23/06, Robert Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu > wrote:

Hummh... We all have these radios that tune the
118-137 MHz AM aircraft band...  But what channels 
are available to communicate plane to plane or
plane to ground?

Our aerospace department has a plane they fly
occasionally for flight studies.  What channel
can I talk to them on to coordinate some GPS 
experiements for example?  (That isnt too

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.tapr.org/pipermail/aprssig_lists.tapr.org/attachments/20060124/3a68270e/attachment.html>

More information about the aprssig mailing list