[aprssig] Garmin emulation

Stan - N0YXV n0yxv at gihams.org
Fri Jan 13 00:33:27 EST 2006

> Not sure I follow.  The point of this piece of software is to
> pretend to be
> a Garmin GPS, to allow mapping programs to download waypoints
> through their
> usual process.  Only instead of getting waypoints from a GPS,
> you're getting
> a list of all active stations from UI-View or some other APRS app.  Yeah,
> I'd probably add a manual gate function to send waypoints as
> objects, but I
> don't think that'd cause any problems.
>
> Scott
> N1VG

I think my confusion came in when you mention "software is to pretend to be
a Garmin GPS". I thought you were trying to get GPS output data to display
on UI-VIEW (or other APRS software). If you pretend to be a GPS UI-VIEW
won't know the difference between you pretending to be a GPS and actually
getting GPS data. That could then potentially repeat GPS data back into the
APRS-IS system. Now that I _think_ I understand what you're trying to do
you'd be correct in saying that it shouldn't be a problem. Only thing I
could see now is if somebody had one of those virtual com port programs
running where they are feeding GPS data into the map program as well as into
say UI-View. Then I suppose there _might_ be a possible repeating of data
into APRS-IS but it's probably a very remote chance.

Please feel free to correct me where I've gone ari in my thinking.