[aprssig] Garmin emulation

Dave Baxter dave at emv.co.uk
Mon Jan 16 05:11:26 EST 2006

As far as I know, GPS-Gate (from Franson) is the only thing that will
"Simulate" an active GPS receiver, sending the resulting data to any
combination of real, virtual, or TCP/IP serial ports.

But I accept there may be other utilities that do the same job, just
that I don't know them.

The version of GPS-Gate I have will only generate, or play back a log of
NMEA data.  Maybe later versions will generate the Garmin native
protocol?  If not, a smart terminal program and the Garmin manual (you
may have to poke about Garmin's website for the appropriate one that
details their native protocol, but it is documented) should do the
job...

Take care with free virtual serial port programs.  Many are specific to
other applications, to crudly interface one to another, or for access to
specific hardware products that only have TCP/IP ports for example, but
are needed to be use by Legacy application software.  There was mention
of one written by another Ham a while back, that did work well.

Above all, have fun.

Dave G0WBX.