[aprssig] APRS Radio

Stan - N0YXV n0yxv at gihams.org
Tue Jan 10 01:28:11 EST 2006

Saw a police unit that combined a GPS, 802.11, traditional radio interface,
a DVR and up to 4 camera input. It was built into a laptop configuration
that had a hardened steal unbreakable (ya right) case. DVR was in a metal
box in the trunk. When ever the unit saw a specific 802.11 radio it would
could be set to start automatically uploading all the information the unit
had gathered. The information that it uploaded not only included old GPS
data and reports but video from the DVR. GPS data could be routed via
traditional police band radio and/or 802.11 for real time tracking. Just
think an office could park his/her car in the police lot and two or three
donuts later have all the days reports loaded in the office server. Video
upload might take a couple dozen donuts or more to upload. :-)