[aprssig] RE: The best resolution of

n8vul n8vul at ohiohills.com
Sat Jan 7 10:01:09 EST 2006

I have never run Xastir for one simple reason.  I could not find the
files I needed. I have only dial-up,  I am not a computer GEEK or a
LINUX Nerd.  Just a working stiff who dabbles in computers.  I have been
running windows since it came out and linux since Red Hat started.  I
might not be a geek or a nerd but I am also not computer illiterate.  I
think that if someone says they are having a hard time getting Xastir
downloaded and installed on their computers, it isn't a an opening to
blast them  for not being a linux Nerd.  It is that the documentation
for taking Linux files and applying them to windows isn't complete or
just is too difficult to understand.  Some people don't want to know how
to program in C or Assembly, They want to just install a program, who
someone says it good, and run it.  When I go shopping for a car, I look
at the appearance of the car, Not how to engineer the machines that
built the thing.  If I had to engineer the machines to build the car, I
probable wouldn't have one.
I myself have tried many times to find the iso image for xastir and
cygwin to install it on my machine and try it out.  But after 2weeks of
banging my head on the screen, I gave up.  After reading some messages
on this board , I see that many others have the same problems.  That
should be a clue on how hard it is or on the how incomplete the
documentation is.  I myself have given up on that program.  I just want
to load and run the program to evaluate it.  when it is that difficult,
it just isn't worth it. And a lot of people wonder why Linux hasn't
taken off as a real Window Alternative.
I have always liked Linux but it is lacking in real world usability. As
far as Xastir is concerned, maybe in 3 or 4 years I will try again.