[aprssig] Re: The best resolution of position from APRS

Wes Johnston aprs at kd4rdb.com
Wed Jan 4 07:24:54 EST 2006

One degree is 60 nautical miles.... 69 statute miles... 111km - but only
in the North-South direction.  East-West distances must take into
consideration the convergance of longitude at the poles.  Cosine takes
care of this.  So, since I live at approx 30degrees north, the COS of 30
is .8666.  So one degree of LONGITUDE for me is worth 96km.  So if I
were to draw a 1 degree "square" box around me, it would be 111km tall
and 96km wide.

>From there, you just whittle it down to minutes by dividing by 60...

1 degree = 111 km
1 minute = 1.85 km
.1 minute = 185meters
.01 minute = 18.5meters
.001 minute = 1.8 meters

Of course each of these numbers has to be "shrunk" by the COS of your
lattitude.

The mic-e spec goes down to 18 meters north south granularity.

Wes