[aprssig] The best resolution of position from APRS

J. Lance Cotton joe at lightningflash.net
Tue Jan 3 10:57:50 EST 2006

w9jbl at comcast.net wrote:
> This begs the question of how many APRS users have an APRS-capable
> Kenwood radio?  I personally know of only one ham who has a KW D-700.

Certainly Kenwood D700 and D7 owners are not in the majority. Reports vary
regarding how many there are. I personally know of 3 people who own them: 2
use it for APRS, the other hardly knows what APRS is and just uses it
because it's a very nice dual-band radio with computer control.

However, regardless of the proportion of users of outdated and un-updateable
APRS software, all APRS users should at least be aware of who they are
leaving out.

At some point, there is enough motivation to move to more featured client
software (firmware) and products, and there will also be some stragglers who
just won't let go. They will have to deal with the knowledge that there are
improvements out there that they just cannot use.

Those driving Model-Ts on the Interstate highway shouldn't yell at the fast
movers, but the fast movers should not ignore the Model-Ts. ;-)

-Lance

--
J. Lance Cotton, KJ5O
joe at lightningflash.net
http://kj5o.lightningflash.net
Three Step Plan: 1. Take over the world. 2. Get a lot of cookies. 3. Eat the
cookies.