[aprssig] New APRS Client, Request for Developers

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Mon Feb 20 11:45:20 EST 2006

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006, Ben Jackson wrote:

> 5 minutes is an estimate, but I will say 2-3 minutes plus. That's from
> invoking "xastir" from the command line to when something starts drawing
> itself on X. I've turned up verbosity to insane levels and no kind of
> diagnostic information gets spit back at me.

View->Uptime should tell you how long it takes it to boot up.  The
timer gets reset very early in main().

The only things I can think of that would cause it to come up very
slow:

*) Memory starvation/swapping
*) Corrupt language file (very long?)
*) Indexing new FCC or RAC files (only first time new file is
     noticed)
*) Online maps which take a while to load
*) "Index New Maps on Startup" enabled and a bunch of local maps
     that it has to check through.
*) Some library we're dependent on is taking a while to initialize.
*) LANG environment variable set to something other than "en_US" or
"C", which causes Xastir be unable to read/write its config files
properly.

Perhaps if the permissions in the ~/.xastir directory are such that
Xastir cannot write into there, Xastir might attempt to repeat
FCC/RAC indexing or some other operation each time on boot.
Incorrect setting of the LANG variable can also cause such
operation.

> Odd. I am using the Debian binaries, perhaps it's something
> isolated to them.

We have several others running Debian.  Not sure if any are running
Debian binaries for Xastir, but I suspect so.  Haven't heard of any
slow startup like you're describing.  You should mention the problem
on the Xastir list as that's where you'll get responses from other
Debian users.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer