[aprssig] New APRS Client, Request for Developers

Ben Jackson bbj at innismir.net
Sun Feb 19 21:59:55 EST 2006

Curt Mills wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Feb 2006, Ben Jackson wrote:
>
>> I dunno, I just never really like XASTIR. It literally takes about 5 minutes
>> to haul itself up on my Debian box (P4-1.6). Plus, I /can't stand/ Motif. :)
>
> Are you really talking about 5 minutes from invoking it until it is
> running, or are you talking about using online mapping and having
> _that_ take five minutes to come up?  I'm really curious as to that
> five minute figure.

5 minutes is an estimate, but I will say 2-3 minutes plus. That's from
invoking "xastir" from the command line to when something starts drawing
itself on X. I've turned up verbosity to insane levels and no kind of
diagnostic information gets spit back at me.

> I run Xastir regularly on a PP200 w/128MB memory, and often on a
> P133 with 64MB memory.  It comes up within a few seconds on each.
> Local maps of course.

Odd. I am using the Debian binaries, perhaps it's something isolated to
them.

--
/"\  Ben Jackson - N1WBV - New Bedford, MA
\ /  bbj <at> innismir.net - http://www.innismir.net/