[aprssig] New APRS Client, Request for Developers

Ben Jackson bbj at innismir.net
Sat Feb 18 17:55:39 EST 2006

Do you pine for the nice days of APRSdos when men were men and spent
hours slogging through configuration files? Are you without a nice
project and just dying to cut your teeth on an APRS client you can try
to modify for your needs? Are you finding it frustrating when everything
works out of the box on UI-View? Tired of all those snooty Linux
developers having all the fun coding their own APRS client? Then this
post might be just for you :-)

Over the past month, I've been messing about with a APRS client for
Windows of my own making, OpenAPRS. OpenAPRS was initially started
because I was bored, and wanted to see if I could work something out
that could interpret position reports. After showing it off to a few
people I knew, I wholeheartedly got the response of "Hey, you should
release this." So, I am.

OpenAPRS is a Open Source APRS client written in C# that uses
Microsoft's .Net 2.0 libraries. As of right now, It's in what I would
call a "usable" state. Working in basic areas, wholly lacking in others.
Thusly, I am not releasing this to the general public /just/ yet.

However, what I am asking for is two fold:

* Developers. I can't be the only APRS guy who codes in C#, right?
Anyone want to help?

* Community Input. There a feature you've been longing for in APRS
clients? Now is your chance to get it. Just speak up! Right now, the one
person I've been discussing this with, has requested easily integrated
topology data, which I'm working on Other then that, the slate is clean.

Currently, the most official thing I have for a home page is the
sourceforge project page: http://sourceforge.net/projects/openaprs. I've
and openaprs-users at lists.sourceforge.net. I don't expect the -users list
to be too active for a bit. :D

I've just now posted the code into CVS, so the curious can start pulling
the source code down and poking at it in what I hope will be a few hours
(SourceForge seems slow today). I coded in in Visual Studio 2005
Standard Edition, but I would assume that the (free) Express Editions
will work as well. Let me know if otherwise.

Questions? Comments? Rotten Tomatoes?

				~Ben

--
/"\  Ben Jackson - N1WBV - New Bedford, MA
\ /  bbj <at> innismir.net - http://www.innismir.net/