[aprssig] Kenwood D7 data cables

scott at opentrac.org scott at opentrac.org
Wed Feb 8 20:30:09 EST 2006

I quickly used up the one GPS/data cable that came with my D7 and was a
little shocked to see HRO charging $19.95 for 'em separately.  Ok, it's a
Kenwood part, so I'm not *that* surprised, but anyway...

I've added a suitable substitute to my inventory, at
http://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=29, for $2.50
each.  They're basically the same thing, but longer (6 feet), with a
heavier-duty cable (3.7mm vs. 2mm), so they're not as flexible but I'm also
not nearly as afraid of them falling apart after a little flexing.  They're
actually lower profile and stick out about 2mm less when inserted, but still
have plenty of clearance.

Not sure if anyone else is carrying these cheap, but I wanted to have a
bunch on hand anyway, so what the heck.  I've still got plenty of
pFranc-style Garmin connectors, so you can get parts for a GPS-to-D7 cable
for under $8.50, shipping included.

Sorry for the lack of pictures - I'll drag out the photography setup once
the speaker/mic cables get here.

Scott
N1VG