[aprssig] Tracking my trip

Bob Burns K4RXR k4rxr_ at rlburns.net
Fri Aug 18 05:51:23 EDT 2006

At 06:20 PM 8/17/2006, scott at opentrac.org wrote:
>Sounds like you probably want to use SmartBeaconing instead, to set
>different beacon rates when you're moving or stopped.

Scott, I think SmartBeaconing addresses part of the problem of
automating mobile trackers, but the automatic selection of different
configurations has the potential of opening up some other possibilities.

SmartBeaconing will slow down the beacon rate when the tracker stops,
but the tracker will still keep sending the same status text,
correct? The automatic config selection could automatically change
the status text, but, as Garren found out, if you automatically
select configs based on tracker speed, the tracker will change
configs whenever you are stopped in traffic. That wasn't what Garren wanted.

So, would it be possible to automatically select configs based on the
amount of time the tracker is in one of the selection parameters? For
instance, could Opentracker automatically select the other config if
the tracker was at 0 mph for 30 minutes?

This sort of decision making is common in my business, HVAC controls.
If a room pressure goes out of range for a few seconds, it's no big
deal because it probably means someone opened a door to enter the
room. But if that room pressure stays out of range for five minutes,
then you have a problem and an alarm needs to be set.

Bob...