[aprssig] The D700 and a Samsung Cellphone

Brian Riley brianbr at mac.com
Fri Apr 28 00:00:38 EDT 2006

A few weeks ago I had a strange series of phone calls from a number
of acquaintances and family members. I was getting calls from people
saying Sara's (my wife, W1SLR) cell phone keeps calling me and when I
answer all I hear is a radio in the background; nobody talks to me. I
spoke to Sara about it and she had no idea what was going on. So we
kept track of things and here is what we pieced together.

   (1) Vehicle is a 2005 Ford Focus Wagon

   (2) radio is a Kenwood TMD700A, wired directly to the battery
through appropriate fuses and a Rat Shack 20 amp rated line filter.

   (3) cell phone is a Samsung A650 with an "iGo" cigarette lighter
plug charging unit

   (4) the problem only occurs when the phone is on the charging cord.

   (5) every time the D700 pops off a position beacon (3 minutes) the
cellphone, if idle, first goes to the calls received list, and the
next beacon after that, dials the most recent entry in that list.

    [strains of the Outer Limits soundtrack rising in the background]

   (6) the same phone on the same charging cord in my truck, a 1992
Ford Ranger, with an identically set up D700, has no such problem.

  Huh?????

---
cheers ... 73 de brian  riley,  n1bq , underhill center, vermont
   <n1bq at wulfden.org>