[aprssig] AJ3U-5 Sat Packets

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Tue Sep 27 12:57:45 EDT 2005

On Sep 27, 2005, at 12:39 PM, aprs at pe1rdw.demon.nl wrote:

> 1) APRS IS is not the goal of APRS, it is a nice tool to collect a
> global image
> and try to communicate over a long distance, the same goes for
> findu.com, the
> first priorety should be the RF side, we have a RADIO hobby, not an
> internet
> hobby.

I'd phrase it differently: the APRS IS and findU are integral parts
of APRS, rather than the goal. The design of APRS is intended to
integrate satellite, VHF, HF, and internet into a seamless whole.
APRS is a communication hobby... amateur radio is an important part
of it, but people who choose to participate solely on internet are
still members of the hobby.

It is important is to realize that there many ways to participate in
and view APRS, and it is wrong to try to claim your view is the
right, or only, way. There is enough room for everyone.

Steve K4HG