[aprssig] Re: Help setting up Kenwood D700A

Vic Fraenckel victorf at windreader.com
Tue Sep 13 14:45:41 EDT 2005

As the original poster of this subject let me comment on some of the GPS oriented posts. I wrote:

>I have been struggling for two days to get my 700A on the air. I have it interfaced to a >laptop running APRSPoint.

I have a Garmin GPS35 (sort of a streamlined hockeypuck) attached to my D700. It is not a HOME station. APRSPoint is a moving map system and is meant to be mobile. The GPS35 is spewing out NMEA sentences as verified by having a look at it's output on a communications terminal program. This is not in question.

I am concerned because I am not seeing my position showing up on the map nor have I found my station on findu. I am quite sure there are enough Digipeaters in range to have gated my position reports to the internet.

My question concerned possible problems with the D700 setup. I am running in TNC PKT mode and here are what I consider the germaine radio setup parameters listed by D700 Menu numbers:

1- 6-1  DATA BAND A
1-6-2   DCD Sense A and B Bands
1-6-3   TNC Time <blank>
1-6-4   TNC DATE <blank>
1-6-5   TIMEZONE UTC-4

1-9-5   COM PORT 9600bps
1-9-6   DATA SPEED 1200bps

3-1   CALLSIGN KC2GUI-1
3-2   GPS UNIT NMEA
3-3   WAYPOINT OFF
3-4   MY POSITION <blank>
3-5   POSITION AMBIGUITY <blank>
3-6   POSITION COMMENT IN SERVICE
3-7   POSITION LIMIT OFF
3-8   STATION ICON car
3-9   STATUE TEXT <blank>
3-A   STATUS TX RATE 1/5
3-B   PACKET PATH WIDE2-2
3-C   PACKET TX AUTO
3-D   TX INTERVAL 2 MIN
3-E   UNPROTOCAL APK101
3-F   BEEP MINE
3-G   MILES/KILOMETERS MILES
3-H   TEMPERATURE <blank>
3-G   DATA BAND A
3-H   PACKET SPEED 1200bps
3-I    DIGIPEATER OFF
3-L   UIDIGI <blank>
3-M  AUTO MSG REPLY <blank>
3-N   REPLY MSG <blank>
3-O   BLN GROUP <blank>
3-P   MSG GROUP <blank>

What have I done wrong. I would like to see my position on findu and hopefully on my map.

Victor Fraenckel - The Windman
victorf ATSIGN windreader DOT com
KC2GUI

      Home of the WindReader Electronic Theodolite
                               Read the WIND

"Dost thou not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?"
-Count Oxenstierna (ca 1620) to the young King Gustavus Adolphus

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough
men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell

"When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign: that
all the dunces are in confederacy against him."   -Jonathan Swift