[aprssig] Help setting up Kenwood D700A

Dave Baxter dave at emv.co.uk
Tue Sep 13 11:13:39 EDT 2005

Hi Vic...

Re the serial monitor...

The top window, don't mess with it at the moment...

The larger lower one..

At the top on the left is the "virtual port" settings, think it defaults
to 10.  If you "Know" you don't have a real com4, then select 4, and
tell the application (APRSPoint) to use that port when you load it.  (Or
whatever it can use, where there is no actual or virtual port)

On the right side, is the hardware port that the radio (or GPS) attached
to.  Click (select) both the DTR and RTS checkboxes on the right side
(real port) and the DSR and CTS checks on the left.

Make sure you have the correct baud rate, data bits, parrity and stop
bits set, and the app' should talk to the device OK, and while doing so,
you should see all traffic echoed in the large panel in the lower
window.   Data sent by the application will show up in Blue, that send
by the device will be in Black. (the default colours)   Making it easy
to see what was sent to, and what comes back from the "device" (D700,
GPS, TNC etc)

Hint.  The baud rate settings relate to the hardware port.  The
"Virtual" port seems able to accept whatever baud rate is thrown at it!
Very useful at times...

Now load up an application that talks to the "device".  The left side
(virtual) port will change from a red "Port Close" to a green "Port Open
Open" when the application access the serial port.

Anything that shows "Error" needs investigating.  Play with
HyperTerminal, or any other known good program to see if it all behaves.
(Crikey!  Me saying "Good" and "HyperTerminal" in the same sentence!!)

The little edit box at the bottom, is where you can add commands, data
or plain text to send to either the "Device" or to the "Application", as
per the long narrow buttons on the right of that edit box.  Extremely
useful...  To enter a cr use ^13^ (^ is a "shift 6" on this UK laptop
keyboard)  A "line feed" will be ^10^.  Ie, any numeric value between
two ^'s specifies the byte code in decimal, to send.

I use this on both a WinXP laptop with USB/Serial adapter (FTDI chipset)
and a Win2k desktop with "real" ports.  It works very well, with all the
programs (Ham and otherwise) I have here.

If you have the Kenwood D700 memory manager program (I forget what it's
called) try that.  I know the D7 program (MCP-D7) works OK with this
program in line.  Very educational to watch, to say the least...

You can either swipe/copy/pase the captured data to a file or email, or
use the inbuilt capture file feature, for large ammounts of data.

Any problems, let me know, off list if needed...  Taking into account,
I'm in the UK (UTC+1), and the time difference at the moment...  I may
not be available at all after Wednesday, until Tuesday, but that's
another sory....

Take your time to find your way round this utility, and you will find it
extremely useful to you for all sorts of things.

If it just wont work, try it on another PC, or try another makers
USB/Serial adapter.  It depends a lot on how they have built the drivers
they use, and how they present the resulting "Port" to Windows...  From
what has been said on this forum recently, Belkin USB/RS232 devices are
less than good, for the sort of use we put them to.

Hope this helps Vic..

If you need to contact Steve Bilodeau, he does reply, but it can take
between an hour to a day or two.

73.

    Dave B  G0WBX.