[aprssig] Re: Help setting up Kenwood D700A

Andy Gonzales KG6RWO at comcast.net
Tue Sep 13 23:34:54 EDT 2005

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Vic Fraenckel
  To: APRS Sig
  Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2005 11:45 AM
  Subject: [aprssig] Re: Help setting up Kenwood D700A

  As the original poster of this subject let me comment on some of the GPS oriented posts. I wrote:

  >I have been struggling for two days to get my 700A on the air. I have it interfaced to a >laptop running APRSPoint.

  I have a Garmin GPS35 (sort of a streamlined hockeypuck) attached to my D700. It is not a HOME station. APRSPoint is a moving map system and is meant to be mobile. The GPS35 is spewing out NMEA sentences as verified by having a look at it's output on a communications terminal program. This is not in question.

  I am concerned because I am not seeing my position showing up on the map nor have I found my station on findu. I am quite sure there are enough Digipeaters in range to have gated my position reports to the internet.

  My question concerned possible problems with the D700 setup. I am running in TNC PKT mode and here are what I consider the germaine radio setup parameters listed by D700 Menu numbers:

  Here are my comments with respect to using software such as UIVIEW or WinAPRS or APRSPoint

  1- 6-1  DATA BAND A  OK
  1-6-2   DCD Sense A and B Bands   I would switch to Data Rx

  1-6-3   TNC Time <blank>  software will provide the date, but for if no software I would add the time
  1-6-4   TNC DATE <blank> software will provide the date, but for if no software I would add the time
  1-6-5   TIMEZONE UTC-4  OK, but you also need to enter timezone in software
  1-9-5   COM PORT 9600bps  OK
  1-9-6   DATA SPEED 1200bps  OK

  3-1   CALLSIGN KC2GUI-1 OK but you also need to tell software
  3-2   GPS UNIT NMEA this is a must
  3-3   WAYPOINT OFF OK
  3-4   MY POSITION <blank> GPS provides position
  3-5   POSITION AMBIGUITY <blank> OK
  3-6   POSITION COMMENT IN SERVICE enter comment in software but if no software this will be used
  3-7   POSITION LIMIT OFF  I would enter something here AND in the sofware
  3-8   STATION ICON car  enter in software, but if no software this will be used
  3-9   STATUE TEXT <blank> enter status in software but if no software this will be used
  3-A   STATUS TX RATE 1/5  enter in software, but if no software this will be used
  3-B   PACKET PATH WIDE2-2 enter in software, but if no software this will be used
  3-C   PACKET TX AUTO   I would use MANUAL under the theory that the software should be "MANUALLY" sending your beacons
  3-D   TX INTERVAL 2 MIN doesn't make a difference, its the software thats in control
  3-E   UNPROTOCAL APK101 enter in software, but if no software this will be used
  3-F   BEEP MINE OK
  3-G   MILES/KILOMETERS MILES enter in software, but if no software this will be used
  3-H   TEMPERATURE <blank> OK
  3-G   DATA BAND A  OK
  3-H   PACKET SPEED 1200bps OK
  3-I    DIGIPEATER OFF OK
  3-L   UIDIGI <blank> OK
  3-M  AUTO MSG REPLY <blank> enter in software, but if no software this will be used
  3-N   REPLY MSG <blank> enter in software, but if no software this will be used
  3-O   BLN GROUP <blank> enter in software, but if no software this will be used
  3-P   MSG GROUP <blank> enter in software, but if no software this will be used

  What have I done wrong. I would like to see my position on findu and hopefully on my map.

  Vic, I have to suggest again that you use UIVIEW

  Victor Fraenckel - The Windman
  victorf ATSIGN windreader DOT com
  KC2GUI

        Home of the WindReader Electronic Theodolite
                                 Read the WIND

  "Dost thou not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?"
  -Count Oxenstierna (ca 1620) to the young King Gustavus Adolphus

  "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough
  men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
  -George Orwell

  "When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign: that
  all the dunces are in confederacy against him."   -Jonathan Swift