[aprssig] Using RELAY or WIDE1-1 in a path

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sat Sep 10 20:21:42 EDT 2005

>>> mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net 09/10/05 7:17 PM >>>
>Is there any "official" web site that explains why it
> is a bad idea to use RELAY or WIDE1-1 in the path
>(except in the first position)?

The use of digipeaters has always been documented in
the original APRSdos docs in the DIGIS.TXT file and the
PATHS.txt file.  Google for paths.txt APRS

But the answer is simple.  WIDE1-1 digis are home sites.
And in many areas, there are MANY of them for each
central big digi.   If WIDE1-1 is used as the first hop,
then the mobile only hits one house, and then the
big digi.

If WIDE1-1 is used as a 2nd or later hop then it keys
up EVERY WIDE1-1 digi in the county for MAXIMUM
QRM and nothing gets through.

Also, it QRM's EVERY home stations family TV.  My
wife can tolerate my once every 30 mintute BRAAP
across the TV screen fropm my own station, but
if a 1 minute mobile drives by and causes my station
to digipeat every packet, then it drives her crazy...

>I have a few users in my area that are doing it
>and I want to explain it to them, but would
>like to have some "official" backup.

Educate them.
GOod luck.
Bob, WB4APR