[aprssig] Serial port to USB question

Doug Ferrell, KD4MOJ kd4moj at www.kd4moj.org
Sat Sep 3 21:45:24 EDT 2005

I am attempting to connect my D700 to APRSPoint. I have a 'modern' Dell
laptop sans serial ports. I can attach the TNC output to a USB port using a
Belkin Serial => USB converter and can see the APRS packets streaming into a
terminal program - 9600Baud, 8N1. So I am sure the converter is working and
the comport selection matches what is found in the Windows XP Device table
(com4 in this case). However attaching in EXACTLY the same way to APRSPoint
and setting the TNC port as above does not work. I get the error message
"TNC not detected". I have MapPoint 2004 installed and am using AP 2.1 for
MP 2004. I AM a registered user of both MP and AP.
  [Doug Ferrell]

    Victor make sure that you are in 'PKT" mode on your D700 before you
connect (F5 or the menu) via APRSPoint. Since you are seeing the stream in a
terminal prgm, you have verified your comm port and APRSPoint should be
happy.

    I can tell you that the D700 and APRSPoint work fine together! It is a
fine client and mapping program to boot!