[aprssig] Serial port to USB question

Tim Cailloux tim at cailloux.com
Sat Sep 3 21:47:52 EDT 2005

Vic Fraenckel wrote:

> I am attempting to connect my D700 to APRSPoint. I have a 'modern'
> Dell laptop sans serial ports.
>
> Any enlightenment will be appreciated.

My company manufactures serial devices and we are faced with this
problem.  The one we found that works well under pretty much any
condition is the IOGear GUC-232A (about $29 online).  Our devices need
RTS/CTS and DTR/DCD (in addition to the standard TXD, RXD, and GND).
This is about the only device that we've found that will work with those
requirements.  I'll personally say that I've used the Belkin, and three
or four others, and this is the only one that I've found works reliably.

For the full evaluation (if you're interested), you can check out the
original report here (PDF):
http://tinyurl.com/chswy

tim

--