[aprssig] APRS in Disaster area

AE5PL Lists HamLists at ametx.com
Sat Sep 3 07:30:04 EDT 2005

Again, you are missing the point.  People need to think about what their
assignment is when getting deployed, not how to implement a useless
network (if it is not being used by the emergency operations, it is
USELESS).  Bob's posts were not "thinking out loud" in tone or manner.
They were stating what stations "need"  to do which was absolutely false
and improper advice.

There is nothing wrong with discussing different scenarios that can be
used in a _hypothetical_ emergency situation.  Those discussions are
fine for the planning purposes of emergency coordinators.  While it may
not have been directly discussed _here_ recently, rest assured that
these discussions go on continuously throughout the country with
emergency managers.  The key to this whole thing is when an emergency
occurs, all bets are off.  The authorities in charge utilize the assets
available as best they deem necessary and beneficial.  It is the
responsibility of the individual volunteers to focus entirely on the
task at hand, follow the authorities' directions, and _not_ be an
obstruction to the emergency activities.  Playing radio or acting as an
unwanted "educator" during emergency operations simply gives Amateur
Radio a black eye and the negative impact will be remembered for years
to come in the affected EOC.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
mailto:pete at ae5pl.net