[aprssig] APRS in Disaster area

A.J. Farmer (AJ3U) farmer.aj at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 23:05:41 EDT 2005

I honestly don't believe anybody on this list is foolish enough to
"run into the fray" as a renegade operator at this point.

Yes, we all should be prepared and educated before the disaster
strikes, but let's face it, we have become accustomed to our "always
available 24x7, Internet connected, track anybody anywhere all the
time, APRS network".  We have become very good at operating in that
environment instead of an emergency environment.  We have been too
worried about fixing our overloaded network assuming it would always
be there in an emergency.

I think Bob is just "thinking out loud" and offering suggestions to
those that might be
preparing to deploy *under authority* so they have a good idea of what
to do when they get there.  Why?  Because unfortunately we haven't had
open discussions about it recently.  It's no different than the
discussions that have been sparked about generators and solar power.

If nothing else, we should take from this the need to practice setting
up APRS networks from the ground up with no existing infrastructure,
no power, and no Internet.  Field Day should be a minimum for doing
this.

A.J. Farmer, AJ3U
http://www.aj3u.com