[aprssig] N1547C tracker

Douglas Dever dougdever at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 19:13:10 EDT 2005

On 10/20/05, Ray McKnight <shortsheep at worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> The link you provided has absolutely *nothing*
> to do with private aviation!  It is entirely within
> the context of commercial passenger airlines,
> which are operating under IFR rules.  On a private
> plane, under VFR rules, and below the FCC's
> limit (and I don't recall if its 3,500 or 3,000 ft),
> you can use a cell phone.  I was specifically informed
> of this directly from a supervisor at FCC HQ in Washington.
> It's irrelavant to APRS so I'm not going to waste time
> trying to track down a regulatory cite for you.  You can't
> take regulations out of context, it just doesn't work.  I'd
> suggest you call your local FSS and talk to a pilot.

Yup... sure can't take those regulations out of context - please note
there is no discussion regarding civil aviation versus commerical...

[Code of Federal Regulations]
[Title 47, Volume 2]
[Revised as of October 1, 2004]
>From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access
[CITE: 47CFR22.925]

[Page 189]

                       TITLE 47--TELECOMMUNICATION

                    CHAPTER I--FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS
                         COMMISSION (CONTINUED)

PART 22_PUBLIC MOBILE SERVICES--Table of Contents

                Subpart H_Cellular Radiotelephone Service

Sec. 22.925  Prohibition on airborne operation of cellular telephones.

    Cellular telephones installed in or carried aboard airplanes,
balloons or any other type of aircraft must not be operated while such
aircraft are airborne (not touching the ground). When any aircraft
leaves the ground, all cellular telephones on board that aircraft must
be turned off. The following notice must be posted on or near each
cellular telephone installed in any aircraft:
    ``The use of cellular telephones while this aircraft is airborne is
prohibited by FCC rules, and the violation of this rule could result in
suspension of service and/or a fine. The use of cellular telephones
while this aircraft is on the ground is subject to FAA regulations.''