[aprssig] N1547C tracker

Ray McKnight shortsheep at worldnet.att.net
Thu Oct 20 19:05:12 EDT 2005

The link you provided has absolutely *nothing*
to do with private aviation!  It is entirely within
the context of commercial passenger airlines,
which are operating under IFR rules.  On a private
plane, under VFR rules, and below the FCC's
limit (and I don't recall if its 3,500 or 3,000 ft),
you can use a cell phone.  I was specifically informed
of this directly from a supervisor at FCC HQ in Washington.
It's irrelavant to APRS so I'm not going to waste time
trying to track down a regulatory cite for you.  You can't
take regulations out of context, it just doesn't work.  I'd
suggest you call your local FSS and talk to a pilot.