[aprssig] N1547C tracker

Ken Brown W2KB at comcast.net
Thu Oct 20 21:09:24 EDT 2005

The FCC staffer was wrong.  Use of cellphones in aircraft is permitted
*only* when the aircraft is on the ground.  I have an adapter for my
aviation headset so I can call FSS or ATC from my Cessna Cardinal on the
ground.  I have to shut off the phone prior to takeoff.

See: http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/cellular/operations/aircraft.html

Which reads in pertinent part as follows:

Operations
Aircraft Usage
Section 22.925 of the Commission's rules, 47 CFR Part 22, provides that
cellular telephones installed in, or carried aboard airplanes, balloons, or
any other type of aircraft, must not be operated while the aircraft is off
the ground. The following notice must be posted on or near each cellular
telephone installed in any aircraft: "The use of cellular telephones while
this aircraft is airborne is prohibited by FCC rules, and the violation of
this rule could result in suspension of service and/or a fine. The use of
cellular telephones while this aircraft is on the ground is subject to FAA
regulations."

73,  ---Ken W2KB ARRL VC NJ N16019