[aprssig] APRS Field Events

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Oct 19 11:37:57 EDT 2005

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> >Perhaps I'm a bit confused on this issue...
> >If ... REDCROSS, and WE7U-7 [were talking]...
> >then they could communicate if REDCROSS was
> >directly on the internet....
> >If... REDCROSS was on RF... the two could not talk.
>
> True, but the intent of the NATIONAL GENERIC CALLS
> is not to communicate traffic, but to post a solicitation
> to comunicate.  It is used to announce your station's
> call so that others will see your callsign and then be
> able to initiate a message back to you..
>
> THis is needed because APRS users cannot send
> messages outside of the local RF lan, unless the
> callsign of a distant station is known.  By posting
> a message to the generic calls, then it lets you
> get your own callsign out... (or at least now to
> a FINDU list).

Ok, starting to make sense now.  The typical use then would be
something like this?

  WE7U-7>APRS::REDCROSS :Health & Welfare Traffic for WA{00}

  N7ABC>APRS::WE7U-7   :I'm able to take traffic for WA{AB}
  WE7U-7>APRS::N7ABC    :ack{AB}

  WE7U-7>APRS::N7ABC    :Prepare to copy{01}AB
  N7ABC>APRS::WE7U-7   :ack{01}AB